Patience… Do you have good patience? For me, sometimes. I’ve been told many times that I have the patience of Job. Some days I’m not so sure about that. With some things, I do have a lot of patience. Tax work, I have the patience 92% of the time. Children’s Ministry, I have 95% patience. Writing… not such good numbers.
When a writer needs patience:
- A writer needs the patience to see the manuscript to the end. I know with me, I can see the end, but sometimes it takes everything within me not to rush to the end. If I rush, I’ll miss the details that make the middle great, which helps that ending pop.
- A writer needs patience when submitting to a big publisher. This one can be daunting. Sometimes I’m good with this. But some days I wear my email out.
- A writer needs patience when entering a writing contest. I’m going through that right now. I’ve submitted a manuscript first chapter to the Harlequin HWBlitz. Yep, counting down the days.
- A writer needs patience while waiting on a finished manuscript to be edited. My Editor knows how testy I get during this time, but she smoothes the ruffled feathers by reminding me that this is part of the process. As a writer, I want it out there the minute I type THE END>
- A writer needs patience when waiting for the manuscript to be put out for all the world to read. Most of my books are put on preorder. They’re all on a certain publishing schedule, which means some of the things I’m working on now won’t be published until late Summer. That drives me crazy. I have so many that I’m so excited to get out there, but I have to wait. This is the part where I don’t do well. But I have to stay organized and on schedule, or so my Editor says anyway…
So, what makes you impatient?
As always, great writing and May God Bless You…